Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Book Dummy!


I've been working on a book dummy for critique at the NESCBWI Illustrator's Symposium on Nov. 2. Getting it ready was like doing 15 Illustration Friday images all in 3 or 4 sittings. It's not perfect, the story needs MUCH revising, but I am happy that I finally have a dummy ready to show! Perhaps the first of 2 dozen or so before I really get it right, but it feels great to be starting. Here's a spread from later in the story, when Shelby and Morgan are headed home.
I'll be meeting with Candlewick Press editor Liz Bicknell, who worked with Jon Klassen on his NYX bestselling book "I Want My Hat Back", so it's exciting to be getting criticism and advice from someone with lots of experience and success.

2 comments:

  1. AWESOME perspective!!! Best of luck with the meeting with Liz! I'm sure you'll get invaluable feedback!! I really need to get off my butt and join SCBWI!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michele :D I'll let you know how it goes.
      I am loving your return to traditional materials -- keep going!!
      There's another NESCBWI conference in the spring, in Springfield, MA, where you can meet with publishers and show your portfolio and/or a book dummy and get feedback. You could think about joining to go to that -- it's in April/May. And we could meet up and chat!!

      Delete

I love reading your feedback, thanks so much for commenting!